Monday, March 28, 2016

The parent trap...

I'm convinced even Akeelah from the Bee doesn't have a sufficient vocabulary to recount one of the best weekends of my life. Yes, Mom and Dad. I'm talking about my very short but very filled 46 hours.

"If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet." After three months of incredible travel, life-changing experiences, and profound soul-searching (but don't forget the times of desperation, homesickness, and exhaustion) I found myself back in Florence, Italy...but this time, with MY PARENTS!!!

One of the beautiful things about travel is it teaches you to make a home wherever are. At the same time, it reminds you of where you come from. And if you're really lucky, your roots find YOU! Last Thursday I was reunited with two of my favorite people in the world in one of my favorite places in the world.

Our two days together were filled with smiles, coffee, wine, and adventure. You know...McGehee things. We did Florence's highlights; shopped at the subpar mall, admired the "Florence Y'all" water tower, and...oh my bad. Wrong Florence. 

We did, however, see David at Galleria dell Academia, shop in the central market, visit Pisa, enjoy a sunset at Piazzele Michelangelo, and try Florentine steak. We lost ourselves in both the streets and Ino's paninis. And took many shots together...of espresso that is. 


But a McGehee vacation would not be complete without some problem. Sometimes I feel like the world is saying, "things are going too well for you. Let's mix things up a bit." To begin, Mom, Dad, and I are traveling to the Amalfi Coast by train. 

Beautiful, isn't it?!? I wouldn't know...

Mom had read in her travel book that train workers are known to go on strike on Fridays if the weather is nice. So Mom, Dad, and son all travel three hours by train, make it to the stop just before their destination, and...anyone want to fill in the blank? The workers go on strike. Ouch, struck out looking. Which, ironically, can be shortened as SOL (a colloquial way of saying "sucks to suck" AND the name of the most amazing study abroad program on the planet). 

But not even this could damper our McGehee moral. I mean, just look at these faces. 



This was a weekend that I will truly remember and cherish for the rest of my life. Thanks Mom and Dad for letting me third-wheel on your 25th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment