Wednesday, February 24, 2016

When life gives you pomegranates...

As I mentioned in my last post, I am "studying" in Granada, Spain. Granada, when translated from Spanish to English, means pomegranate. Let's take a moment to consider how weird that is. I'm living in a city called Pomegranate. There would never be a Pomegranate, Kentucky or Pomegranate, Utah. Okay, maybe in Utah. It's a pretty strange place.  

Pomegranate, Spain, on the other hand, is quite beautiful.

I have been in this wonderful city for one month now. That's crazy! And in this month I have skied the Sierra Nevada's, visited cathedrals, eaten way too many tapas, run the cobblestone streets, participated in authentic Spanish food tasting, and become an adult...and by that I mean figured out how to use the post office, grocery store, public transit, medical clinic, and pharmacy. 

There is nothing worse than being sick while away from home. But don't fret, Mom, I have made friends with a very large pot of tea.

~Dear Ms. Coffee,

We have spent many good years together. When I was alone, you sat with me. When I was upset, you helped me through. When I was happy, you celebrated with me. Because of your faithfulness, I feel I owe you this explanation.

It's not you. It's me. I haven't betrayed you, and you know I would never cheat on you. Sometimes people just need a break to realize what they are missing. Even Lily and Marshall went there separate ways for a short period of time. Please have patience with me and trust that I'll return to you soon.

My deepest regrets.~

One thing that I haven't done in my month in Granada is hike the Sierra Nevada's. My study abroad group intended to go this weekend, but rain cancelled our plans. But when Granada gives you pomegranates, you make POM Wonderful. 

Europe must inspire spontaneity, because within 3 hours we had booked bus tickets and an Airbnb for 10 people to Madrid. McKinley celebrated her 21st birthday in Spain's capital! Casual.


Together we visited Palacio Real de Madrid, Parque del Retiro, and Museo Nacional del Prado (and I got way too excited about the art. It was worth paying attention in my History of Spain class last semester)! But most importantly, I drank the best coffee I've had in Europe. But for now, if you need me, I'll be in Pomegranate, Spain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment